[NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b6

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 02:47:52 EDT

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce ATA Support 1.0b6. This isn't the Release
Candidate yet, and I would need your help (see below).

This beta expires on Monday, October, 1st, 2001, 23:59.

What is ATA Support?
--------------------

ATA Support is a software that lets you use ATA cards more or less
like linear cards. It has been tested and seems to work with ATA
PC-Cards, CompactFlash cards and Sony Memory Sticks.

Hey, I still can't use more than 4 MB, why?

Because I'm stupid enough to not sell a software which has known bugs in it.

When will I be able to buy ATA Support?
---------------------------------------

Well, the full version will be released once I'll have fixed the
known bugs and implemented the couple of missing features (see
below). This should happen really soon.

Where can I find this package?
------------------------------

As usual, you can download this new release on my website:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

How can I help the developer?
-----------------------------

SmartMedia cards owners: various users have reported they don't work,
but without a log, I can't analyze and fix the problem (if possible).
Please send me a log.

MP130 users: Brian McEwen has just reported problems with
installation of the ATA Support 1.0b5 package. Please post here if
you do have the same problem or not.

The restart-on-sleep-bug: some users reported that 1.0b5 and earlier
rebooted the Newton when an ATA store was the default store and they
put their Newton to sleep (by closing the eMate lid or pressing the
power button on other units). I haven't experienced it. Please tell
me if you do experience it or if you used to and you no longer do
with the beta 6.

If you experience any bug which isn't listed in the list of known
bugs (the list is updated on my website as I get reports), please
report it. The best is to provide as much as information as you can.
To do so, try the Log version of the package. This version is slower
than the regular version but saves log data about exceptions and
errors which can occur here and there and be symptoms of bugs. This
log can be retrieved by tapping the package in the Extras Drawer.
Also please provide a BugTrap log if BugTrap generates anything (the
BugTrap's log will be more useful with the Log version as well).

If you have a card which doesn't work, please report it with a log
generated by the log package. Without the log, I won't be able to
find out why your card doesn't work. Please don't report any problem
with Iomega Clik! drives or don't ask me if they work, they don't.
You can also report cards which do work, but there are so many of
them that I'm no longer sure that I'll maintain a full list of them.

What's new?
-----------

* Fixed the aesthetic bug in the list of partitions (which ate the
name of the partitions).
* Fixed a bad bug in the power management. The cards (including non
ATA cards) were never powered off and this lead to problems with some
3Com cards.
* Fixed a problem in the management of separated transactions. Separated
  transactions weren't handled as the system actually expected and this lead
  to various problems including a weird -10061 when the ATA Store was
  declared as the default store and you surfed the internet with Newtscape.
* Added notify icon (blinking star) actions to unmount the stores on the
  ATA cards. There is also a preferences checkbox to disable this feature.
* Added the version string (which, when tapped, gives the build string) in
  the about box.
* Fixed some elements in the NewtonScript interface.

Bugs? What do you mean?
-----------------------

* Some users have reported that when there are some packages (such as
  NetHopper) on an ATA store, bad things happen when the Newton goes to
  sleep and this causes the system to restart. I never experienced this and
  this new version might have fixed the problem (reports are welcome).
* Under some circumstances, the Newton is locked. This includes situations
  when the 3Com's driver is installed or when one installs packages such as
  NetHopper. I've been able to reproduce the latter, and the system loops
  into a system function (TFrameRelocationGenerator::Update) for an unknown
  reason.

What's left before the final version?

* Fix the lock bug.
* Define the partition map edition dialog for the full version.
* Implement the software protection.
* Write the documentation.

Paul

--