Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100: Internet over localtalk to mac?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 10:44:15 EDT

>My question is, if I can figure out how to server TCP/IP over appletalk
>(Mac IP) will my newton be able to use this feed=
> just like a mac would on my network?

I thought Kim Howe's reply was a good answer...

-Yes, assuming you can find a way to route MacIP over localtalk (you need
IPNetrouter to do this)-

-you could provide connection to the internet to your MP120 and MP130 via
their serial port using MacIP. You can select MacIP in the connect slip
popups, somewhere, on the Newt.

You can think of MacIP as bundling your internet protocol (it's either PPP
or TCP/IP, I forget which for certain right now- but since we all know
TCP/IP doesn't exist for the MP1x0's, I'm thinking it's PPP) within the
localtalk protocol. Yes, engineering types can have a fit at that
description, it's not quite right, but that's close enough for most.

Do NOT confuse this (MacIP) with AppleShareIP (like you see in the chooser
of 8.x? or higher MacOS- that's a way to talk to Appletalk servers using
TCP/IP (and is part of making Mac networking conform to industry standards,
and is why Appletalk won't cross most routers, where the new AppleshareIP
will).

>I don't have my newton yet to see whether TCP/IP via appletalk is an option.

There is some slight information about how to do this in the forum archives
on the IPNetrouter website, and I've forwarded a step-by-step email here
once or twice from an individual who got it going (I was going to try to
set it up at work, to share my ethernet connection with my MP130, but the
IT people there were going to have a fit about my running my own NAT).
IPnetrouter has good docs and I've read that the new auto-config works
well, and it has a demo period.