Re: [NTLK] Wireless Internet should work! =) Thanks!

From: Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 23:56:33 EDT

>:) or :) depends on your point of view
>
>AppleshareIP is a completely different protocol from MacIP.

True.

>MacIP is a way to tunnel TCP/IP within Localtalk.

True. Also PhoneNet.

>AppleshareIP is a way to use TCP/IP, a very standard protocol, to network
>between two macs, and has only been around for a few years (compared to the
>Newton development era).

No, it's not. AppleShareIP is the AppleShare file server protocol,
running over TCP/IP instead of AppleTalk. It's also used for personal
filesharing, now, in a more limited form. And it's not between just two
Macs. More than one Mac can access files on another Mac running and
AppleShare, AppleShare IP, or Personal Filesharing software.

It's file serving only. Nothing else.

>You cannot connect to an AppleshareIP server with your messagepad, of any
>version. The two protocols were developed years apart. And Paul's busy
>with ATA :) so I don't see AppleshareIP support coming....

True, sort of. AppleShare has been around since LONG before the Newton.
Not the reverse.

But in any even, AppleShareIP has nothing to do with running TCP/IP to a
Newton. Newton's don't have files, so accessing a file server with your
Newton wouldn't be too useful. You can get the same benefit, sort of, by
just leaving NCU running on a machine as an NCU "server". You can
connect to that machine, install software, import/export files, etc.
Not multi-user, though.

 - Bill