[NTLK] AW: Power Adapters for MP2x00

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 03:37:12 EDT

I would strongly recommend to be careful with selecting cheapo power adaptors for our beloved Newt.
It may happen (as it happened to me) that your Newt simply blows up.
The original Newton power adaptor is not just a simple ac wall plug adaptor:
it is a more sofisticated power source, because you have both, a voltage limitation and a current limitation.
In case the voltage/current characteristics of your cheapo power adapter do not fit to the characteristics of the original one,
in case of the current is too low, the fast charging will turn into a normal charging, but in the worst case, having a too high current or voltage, you blow your Newt...
And do not believe what is written on the power adapter: this is only what the power adapter roughly will deliver with the given load:
f.i. 7.5V / 500 mA seems to be fine, but you do not know the voltage for loads below 500 mA - the voltage will rise.
And you do not know the max. current at 6V, which may be much more than the indicated 500 mA...

This is only the advice of an aggrieved Newt user.

Cheers
Johannes