Re: [NTLK] Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 06:17:59 EDT

> From: "Bill davis newton" <newton_at_mail.ecity.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)

--snip--
I do appreciate your comments and correction (as I'm sure others do) as
it IS fast
becoming a Palm world.
Also, anyone know of a Palm FAQ for Newton junkies or recovering Newtaholics?

> My HandEra support screen rotation in the OS, but of course the app
--snip--
Right - I do agree the HandEra (speaker, slots, screen real estate and
rotation, etc.)
is almost a Newt - I was tempted except for the free VisorPhone promo.

> > - No inter-program cooperation, like on the Newt when you want to fax a
> > note, and the routing slip allows you to get a fax number from the
> Not quite. This is not a built in feature of NewtonOS. You can, and
I thnk this always was, at least OS 1.3x onward.

> I even contacted MoreInfo people, as
--snip--
> Doesn't speak much for them as a company if they realize that and
> didn't improve their product to match.
I am inferring from their message that they can't, not that they won't.
--snip--

> Not true, there are MP3 springboard modules for the Visor. The Sony
> Palm clones support MP3 playback as well.
True, but again special module to just add a speaker the the Visor, and
the Sony's have a patched-in DSP as part of the hardware to do this.
What I was commenting on was that it's odd 3Com
saved $0.50 per Palm to not use a speaker. And contrary to urban
legends, it was not to avoid "red box" phone phreaking.
--snip--

> > - no "gestures" for text editing,
> Yes and no. You can use keystroke commands like /c for copy, /p for
Right, but these aren't the gestures that seem so intuitive; altho with
a menu
command it's hard to not copy correctly ;-)
--snip--

> Newton and Palm both are enhanced by 3rd party apps. Newton has a
> lot. PalmOS has 1000x more.
Very correct, altho a LOT of these add features (print, fax, gestures,
linking, etc.)
that the Newt has built-in.
--snip--

> > no global "find"
> Uh, that's incorrect. Global find is a standard OS feature. I use it
> all the time.
I stated this incompletely. There is a global find, but on some apps you
need to turn
this on, so that "global find will search rhe app's data, right? I mean
I've only had it a
week, and of course I didn't read the manual yet...
> > heck "Find" only searches the first or last part of a word!
> Get FindHack. More powerful than Newton's find. Come to think of it, I
> have an enhancement program for Newton's "Find" too.
It is on my list, thanks...
--snip--

> Actually, neither is the NewtonOS all in grayscale. Very little is, in
Well, at least SOME!!
> > Also the built-in dithering of images leaves a LOT to be desired vs
> Not sure what you mean.
If you browse the same Web page, the B&W images rendered by NewtsCape
look pretty good, not blotchy or pixellated. The same on the Visor don't
look
as good. It could be as the Newt is 16 greys of a palette of 256,
whereas
Palm may be a palette of only maybe 64 greys?

> > - backlight is "reversed" black turns white and visa-versa, like a
> Not true. That can be switched with a setting on the Palm. And my
> HandEra defaults to black on green like the Newton and older Palm
--snip--
> So did I and it was much better than green on white. I think it was called GreeLightHack.
I tried it, and at least on the Visor green-on-white is way better.
Could be the screen.

> > - the O/S is single-threaded, no open calculator while your memopad
> Not true. Use desk accessories. Sort of like the original DA concept
I didn't know that.

Of course don't forget the biggest bugaboo - leave the batteries out of
your Palm and all
data is lost within a few minutes.

Mark Rollins
mark_at_mrollins.com