Re: [NTLK] newton switch on by itself

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 12:54:03 EDT

on 9/27/01 12:47 PM, Edward Cheung at edwardcheung_at_mac.com wrote:

> Any way to fix that?
> On Friday, September 28, 2001, at 12:32 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>

>> on 9/27/01 12:28 PM, Edward Cheung at edwardcheung_at_mac.com wrote:
>>
>>> I notices my Newton will switch itself on by itself. Is this happening
>>> to all the Newton or just mine....
>>> and is there a way shut it off because it is draining the batteries.
>>
>> Usually, all Newton will wake up at 3am to perform some cleaning tasks,
>> like
>> forwarding any To-dos to the next day. After the delay set in the
>> preferences, the Newton should go back to sleep after that time. If
>> yours is
>> staying on, then there must be some background process running that
>> prevents
>> it from sleeping, or the system soup entries where the sleep delay is
>> stored
>> is corrupted.

Try to set the sleep delay once again to see if it works. If not, then you
could use some soup editor to delete the first entry in the system soup. You
should soft reboot the Newton right after that. I don't know if the Newton
has the ability to recreate all the slots that are in the first system soup
entry, but it should. Note that some applications may store their
registration stuff in the first entry of the system soup, so you might have
to enter those information again. It is possible that your Newton might
malfunctions after the entry's removal. I've never done that myself. I
usually wipe the entire system soup if it becomes corrupted.

If all of this doesn't work, then I'm afraid you'll have to backup and do a
hard reset. Re-install any package that you need and then restore the data.
I would suggest you try to let the Newton go to sleep by itself after each
package installation. This way, you might be able to find the package that
is causing problem, if it wasn't caused by a corrupted system soup.

Good luck!

-Laurent.

plokta  [Acronym for Press Lots Of Keys To Abort]  v.:  To press random keys
in an attempt to get some response from the system.  Someone going into
'plokta mode' usually places both hands flat on the keyboard and presses
down, hoping for some useful response.