Re: [NTLK] 2100 screw???

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 15:33:54 EDT

on 9/28/01 3:27 PM, Humphreys, David at david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com wrote:

> Jeremy wrote:
>
>> Just out of curiousity, did you lose serial connectivity through
>> the SER-001 but not when using a dongle?
>>
>> This happens to me once every few weeks. I have to open the
>> Newton and either re-seat the SER-001 or just remove it and put
>> it back in again. :-|
>>
>> I end up carrying the dongle around anyway, "just in case" the
>> connection through the SER-001 fails when I need it. Kind of a
>> pain. Am I the only one experiencing this? Should I attempt that
>> "countersink" trick?
>
> The board is not secured properly.
> As you plug and un-plug it is likely you are inadvertently
> un-seating the SER-001.
>
> Both screws are needed. Also a plastic washer between the board
> and the 1/4" mounting boss.
>
> As I am writing this I notice that Laurent has commented on the
> amount of solder on the internal connector.
>
> I did increase this a while back but the SER-001 is not meant
> to be repeatedly plugged in and out. Do this enough times
> and the connector will fail.
>
> If the board is secured correctly to begin with it is likely
> you will not have problems.

Mine was secured correctly, using the 2 screws, although there was some
bulge before I did the countersink thing...

-Laurent.

code grinder n.: 1. A suit-wearing minion of the sort hired in legion
strength by banks and insurance companies to implement payroll packages in
RPG and other such unspeakable horrors. In its native habitat, the code
grinder often removes the suit jacket to reveal an underplumage consisting
of button-down shirt (starch optional) and a tie. In times of dire stress,
the sleeves (if long) may be rolled up and the tie loosened about half an
inch. It seldom helps. The code grinder's milieu is about as far from
hackerdom as one can get and still touch a computer; the term connotes pity.