[NTLK] Energizer NiMH - a report.

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 17:15:23 EDT

Last night at my local variety store here in rural Washington state, I was
looking for AA Lithium batteries for my Newt when I ran across a new
battery Eveready. It's the Energizer ACCU Rechargable. These are NiMH
batteries specifically for high-drain devices (portable CD players, etc).

So, I figure that these - being cheaper and more plentiful than the
'normal' NiMH battery pack - would be worth a look. So far I have mixed
feelings about them.

Because they only have an output voltage of 1.2v, they read as being only
92% charged when fresh from the charger. Also, they're rate of drain is a
bit higher than heavy-duty long-life alkaline batteries. I attribute this
at least *partially* to the fact that NiMH batteries discharge even when
not in 'normal' use.

I'll use them for a couple of weeks and let you know what I think. So far,
from a point of view of saving money on batteries, they're pretty
cool. Just gotta know about the 'gotchas', that's all... ;)

--
David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net