Re: [NTLK] [OT]Messagepad case and memory upgrade

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 00:05:29 EST

on 01/04/02 20:16, James Elliott at james.elliott_at_newted.org wrote:

>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> what about Christmas? That's as pagan a holiday as it gets, with no
>>> biblical justification for choosing December 25 whatsoever.
>>
>> I agree. What's the whole Santa/reindeer/sleigh/tree in the living room
>> thing got to do with Jesus?
>> That and I've read that historians actually KNOW that he wasn't born
>> then, and that the holiday was put there to coincide with the winter
>> festivals.
>
> The appearance of the "star" was just Jupiter and Saturn lined up,=20
> which happens every 805 years. With that in mind, he was born in 6=20
> B.C.
[snip!]

born in 6 B.C.? I thought that B.C. meant "Before Christ"? If so, how do
Jesus be born six years before?

-Laurent.

candygrammar n.: A programming-language grammar that is mostly syntactic sugar; the term is also a play on `candygram'. COBOL, Apple's Hypertalk language, and a lot of the so-called `4GL' database languages share this property. The usual intent of such designs is that they be as English-like as possible, on the theory that they will then be easier for unskilled people to program. This intention comes to grief on the reality that syntax isn't what makes programming hard; it's the mental effort and organization required to specify an algorithm precisely that costs. Thus the invariable result is that `candygrammar' languages are just as difficult to program in as terser ones, and far more painful for the experienced hacker.