Re: [NTLK] Compact Flash

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 03:18:06 EST

Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:15:15 -0500
From: Thomas Cherry <jceaser_at_mac.com>

>It seems to be slow (access times)

Used to be. It can now compete with linear cards, and I haven't
implemented half of my ideas to accelerate the thing.

>and you can only use 4 megs unless you pay for the drivers.

Well, actually, it goes and corrupts data.
So yes, it is unreliable. I never told anyone to use it to actually
store data. I haven't sold it yet, haven't released a full version or
whatever.

Actually, I really have to focus on my studies for the moment, so I'm
not ready to fix the current bugs. I might release a beta before the
RC1 so you could check yourself what I mean by "compete with linear
cards".

> * How reliable is it?

There are three known bugs that prevents me to release it completely:
* lost compatibility with a lot of cards
* MBR reading that fails (causes some problems even if the software
doesn't use MBR partitionmap format)
* -10547 after some intensive use (basically, some data gets
corrupted somewhere)

It's your (and my) data. So until all these things are fixed and I
think I fixed all the bugs, I won't release any full version or tell
anyone to use it for storage.

>What gets me is the cost of the drivers, about 50 USD
>if I did the conversion right from EU to $. I hope I am wrong on that.

It's 43,89 USD this morning. If you find it too expensive, just get
some linear cards.

But you might want to consider how expensive ATA drivers are *alone*
and think that ATA Support includes a transactionnal persistent
object store which is 5 times the amount of work the driver required.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/