[NTLK] Re - Battery charging currents

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 14:37:13 EST

> The MP2000 has battTrax installed on it. Yay. It also has the NiMH
battery
> pack. Yay, again. On charging though it says that it is charging at over
> 1,000mA!!! That's a WHOLE AMP! That seems to be a lot of current for a
> piece of portable electronics. I'm worried about frying it.

This isn't likely. There are two built-in gadgets in the battery pack that
prevent
this. One is a temperature resistor which will make the Newton reduce the
charge current when the temperature in the pack gets too high, the second
one is a temperature switch that will stop the charge current totally until
the
temperature returns to normal conditions. While evaluation of the resistor
might
theoretically be tweaked by software like BattTrax, no software would be
able to prevent the switch from doing its work.

> I am using an adapter that provides 7.5V from 240V and is rated for 0.9A.

Unless it is an original Apple part, I'd make sure this is true by measuring
the output voltage while the adapter isn't powering anything.

> am using it quite a lot and so I'm charging it every two days. But a
charge
> seems to be done in 10-20 minutes! This is amazingly low. Is this
normal?

No, it's not. The original cells in the battery pack have 1200 mAh.
Theoretically
this would mean you'd have to charge a (completely discharged) pack for
1.2 hours with a charge current of 1 Ampere. In real life it's a bit more
than that.
If your charge is finished in 10-20 minutes, there can be two reasons:

a) Your charge current is between 3...6 Amperes. This is more than unlikely,
standard ac adapters can't provide than high a current. Moreover, I'm pretty
sure the Newton can't handle this current, either. And even if it could, I'd
expect the temperature switch in the pack to cut the connection because the
temperature would get too high.

2) Your pack has way less than the normal capacity. This is the most likely
reason. It will be "fully" charged much faster because there just isn't that
much juice required to do this.

Frank

Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de