Re: [NTLK] Error -48418.

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 12:27:56 EST

On 03/04/02 11:56, "Bryce Lynch" <bryce_at_telerama.lm.com> wrote:

> This morning my boss transferred what I think was a notes file from his
> Palm V to my MP-2000u, using SmartDog's ObEx stack (registered version).
> I say 'I think' because I didn't see what he beamed, only that he had
> transferred something that my MP interpreted as a Names record. I
> transferred the record into Names and deleted it from the InBox to
> conserve space. Now I can't open the Notes appliation at all, it errors
> out with a -48418 error. Nothing else appears to be broken, though.
>
> I suspect that it was a Names file with a note of some sort attached to
> it, and that note messed a few things up. The closest thing I can figure
> was that by deleting the entry from the InBox I broke a link or two
> somewhere. I ran the SMB Utilities to see if I could localise the error,
> but to no avail. I'm half-inclined to stat poking around with Soup
> Kitchen to see if it's a corrupt entry somewhere, but I'm not wild about
> the possibility of accidentally wrecking everything because of a corrupt
> entry.
>
> Has this ever happened to anyone, and if so how could I go about repairing
> the damage without having to flatline (i.e., brainwipe) my MP200u?

Why browsing the Names soup with SoupKitchen? You already mentioned that you
were using SBM Utilities, which has a very nice soup editor, IMHO.

Anyway, when you say that you ran SBM Utilities, does that mean you ran the
"Doctor" module? If so, then I would suggest you open the Names soup and
then go at the very end, to the last entry, which should be the one that you
added when you transferred the entry from the InOut to Names. See if
Utilities can access and display the entry. If it can, then check to see if
that's the entry you added and if so, delete it. If you cannot access the
entry and get an exception (most likely a -48418), then I don't know. The
easiest thing would be to recover a previous Names back up and restore that.
Utilities doesn't allow the removal of an entry if you cannot browse it.

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead
anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually
point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed
to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a
generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number
for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer.
Compare dead link.