Re: [NTLK] Newton Works/NCU import limits

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 11:32:52 EST

On 04/04/02 10:56, "Rolf Brakvatne" <rbrak29_at_qwest.net> wrote:

> What is the size limit of an import of a Word 4 doc into Newton Works.
> I have 32K files and NCU will only import less than half the file.
>
> These files were saved from Word 98 to Word 4.0.
>
> If I save them as RTF, the files are too big for regular import using NCU
> (not enough memory)

The limit on your Newton should be how much free memory you have on it. If
you have a non-upgraded 2000, you'll be seriously limited. Otherwise, try to
freeze every non-essential package and try again. I don't think there is any
limit other than the heap that is available on your Newton.

As for your second problem, did you try increasing the memory allocated to
NCU, assuming you're using a Macintosh?

-Laurent.

fat electrons n.: Old-time hacker David Cargill's theory on the causation of
computer glitches. Your typical electric utility draws its line current out
of the big generators with a pair of coil taps located near the top of the
dynamo. When the normal tap brushes get dirty, they take them off line to
clean them up, and use special auxiliary taps on the bottom of the coil.
Now, this is a problem, because when they do that they get not ordinary or
`thin' electrons, but the fat'n'sloppy electrons that are heavier and so
settle to the bottom of the generator. These flow down ordinary wires just
fine, but when they have to turn a sharp corner (as in an integrated-circuit
via), they're apt to get stuck. This is what causes computer glitches.