Re: [NTLK] Registration Tactile software

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 15:06:32 EST

>realize that you are voting with your pocketbook, Jeremy, and I sense that
>many feel the same way about Tactile, but your anger and announcements about
>the piracy code-defeator are wearing thin on me.

Well, I was angry 3 years ago when my repeated e-mails and voicemails to
Tactile pleading for a new reg code for NewtFTP (which is a GREAT program
and which I GLADLY paid for) which no longer worked because I had done a
brain wipe were not answered. Now I'm definitely not angry, just... I don't
know... sad I guess that such excellent software apparently didn't make
any money for its creator, and sad that some folks who paid for the
software might feel compelled to re-pay now.

Wouldn't it be cool if Tactile could produce a new version of NewtFTP,
improving its performance, and charging an upgrade fee. More revenue
leveraged from the NewtFTP codebase for Tactile + better apps for us Newton
refugees! I know I'd be first in line!

You'll find no bigger defender of capitalism than me. I use the Tactile
unlocker only to ensure I can continue use NewtFTP, Super Newtris, and
Reminder, three *excellent* apps I gladly purchased from Tactile. (I also
bought ChatBuddy but it doesn't work that well anymore; I think because of
changes in the way IRC networks usually work now.) Should I become
interested in MineField II, Seahunt, World Conquest, etc., I am glad to
know there is a legitimate avenue open to me to purchase them.

I applaud the technical brilliance of Tactile's tough registration scheme
-- but give raspberries for the problems it can generate for the user,
lacking as it does a provision for robust purchase verification and new reg
code generation when required. And more raspberries for the suggestion that
customers who need it might find it more expedient to re-pay than to have
the use of the software restored to them.

>Now, if you could direct
>that time and energy to doing something positive for the Newton
>Community....

Yeah, I'm a great kibbitzer I admit.

>Sorry for the jab, but I had to get it out! I'm doing the best
>I can to make things right with past customers.

I can tell your heart's in the right place. We don't see eye-to-eye
exactly, but you're obviously trying to help those who want to use the
Tactile software library to obtain a legitimate way of doing so, and that's
definitely a good thing.

-Jeremy