Re: [NTLK] 2100 battery recharge questions

From: Thomas Hofts (thofts_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 09:41:36 EST

on 4/5/02 7:31 AM, Simon Roberts at srob_at_mac.com wrote:

> Are you sure? In my experience (and our local battery shop confirmed this=
),
> NiMH cells do show a memory effect. It's just not so extreme as with NiCd
> cells.
>=20
> The MP2x00's charging circuit is fairly intelligent so that might help to
> mitigate the problem. However, I would seriously recommend treating NiMH
> cells with respect (i.e. charging fully before discharging and dischargin=
> fully before charging), if you want to maximise their life.
>=20
> Simon
>=20
From the Ebatts.com web site faq:

=A0NiCad and NiMH: the main difference between the two is the fact that NiMH
batteries (the newer of the two technologies) offer higher energy densities
than NiCads. In other words, pound for pound, NiMH delivers approximately
100% more capacity than its NiCad counterpart. What this translates into is
increased run-time from the battery with no additional bulk to weigh down
your portable device. NiMH also offers another major advantage: NiCad
batteries tend to suffer from what is called the "memory effect". NiMH
batteries are less prone to develop this dreaded affliction and thus requir=
less maintenance and care. NiMH batteries are also more environmentally
friendly than their NiCad counterparts, since they do not contain heavy
metals (which present serious landfill problems).

I also sent them (eBatt.com) an inquiry as to if they stocked batteries for
a 2100. They did have "Newton" on their list, but when selected it didn't
list any batteries. I fear that a year down the road I may need a new
battery pack and I don't know where to get one.

As far as Jon's signature line goes I have one question: Does it refer to
the founding fathers of Poland or the United States?

Everyone have a great weekend!

--
Tom Hofts
Lawrence, KS

Read books on a regular basis lest you wind up like your kids.