Re: [NTLK] HWR...has anyone ever noticed..

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 16:45:15 EST

On 05/04/02 16:12, "Sanford Barton" <sanford.barton_at_mincom.com> wrote:

> Ok, this is going to be hard to explain, but I'll try. I've owned several
> 2x00 devices over the years. It seems they all have this particular bug in
> the HWR or touchscreen driver that ignores some strokes of the stylus,
> especially when a letter starts with a downward stroke. The letters "t" "l"
> "i" "k", etc are the most common I have problems with. Perhaps others have
> noticed this??
>
> Now, what just occured to me is that this really only occurs with staionary
> or OS dialog boxes which has line spacing smaller than the default notepad's
> stationary. Like some dialog boxes, or the mail stationary that comes with
> Eudora Pro. It would appear that any stationary with line spacing smaller
> than say .25" (a guess a what the notepads stationary is) will envoke this
> problem. Can anyone confirm this?

The problem I've seen a few times is that sometime, you'll have a baseline
which is not actually representative of the field. When you start your
stroke, without you knowing, you will start it *outside* the field, which
will result in your letter not being recognized. In those cases, I usually
try to write slightly below the baseline so that all my strokes are started
inside the field. It doesn't matter if you go outside, but you have to make
sure you're starting it inside the field.

-Laurent.

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.