[NTLK] Ethernet unreliable

From: Alexander Oberdörster (oberdoer_at_uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 20:06:03 EDT

I borrowed an Ethernet Card from a friend yesterday. As it is labeled
"Fiberline FL-4680", I didn't think that it would work (it's not
mentioned in the Ethernet FAQ), but I gave it a try anyway.

So I installed a few drivers, inserted the card -- and the Newt
recognizes it as a "Longshine Ethernet" card. So it seems to be
compatible to the Longshine card which is supported by Hiroshi's ATLAN
drivers.

Ok. I checked the box "Use card for AppleTalk", started "Dock" on the
Newt, switched it to Ethernet, turned on "listen on AppleTalk" on my
Mac, found my Mac in the Dock application and tried to connect.

I got a connection, but it's very unstable. I can connect reliably, I
can use my Mac as a keyboard, but that's about as far as it gets.
Transmission of larger packages (> about 20 KB) is impossible, very
small packages get through sometimes, but it takes ages.

I also tried TCP/IP (Internet), and that's very unstable as well.

Any ideas?

Alexander