Re: [NTLK] I'm back (and bad news)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 12:43:07 EDT

They say that it is a requirement that your items go
through the x-ray machine. They will not substitute a
manual examination in lieu of an x-ray scan. I tried
to do it and they refused. When I asked them if they
will be responsible for damages caused, they said no.
They said that if I refuse to have my personal effects
scanned, then I can always choose not to fly. That was
my only option. I guess that this is necessary
becbecause flunkys that they hire can do little else
than look at a video screen. They aren't trained to
visually identify what items are in actual physical
form. Honestly though, I think that the security
measures are getting a little rediculous! I had to
remove my shoes 8 times in several different airports!
Next time I fly, I'm going to wear sandals and a
loincloth! (and don't get me started on what they call
"bistro meals"...)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:

> On 09/04/02 04:35, "Robert Benschop"
> <rbenschop_at_mac.com> wrote:
>
> > on 09-04-2002 6:44, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com
> wrote:
> >
> >> I was told that the x-ray machines will not harm
> film
> >> under 1000-ASA. But logic dictates that if it
> harms
> >> 1000-ASA film, then it will also harm all other
> film
> >> speeds, except not in a visually sensitive
> manner. I
> >> suspect that if you run 800-ASA or even 400-ASA
> film
> >> through an airport x-ray machine and then examine
> the
> >> film carefully under controled labratory
> conditions,
> >> you would find perhaps a not-so-insignificant
> >> degradation in the film's imaging quality!
> >
> > Exactly, not even mentioning that you can 'push'
> your 200 ASA film a one or
> > two stops and suddenly realize that it's fogged as
> well.
> >
> > Since I read different specs in the first place
> (ranging from 40 to 1000
> > ASA) and realize that one is never sure about the
> intensity used.
> > (the x-ray machines in Katmandu were still
> guaranteed to toast any film,
> > even 100 ASA with normal development not so long
> ago)
> >
> > I would recommend anybody to either pack their
> films in a protective bag or
> > refuse to let them go through an x-ray machine
> altogether.
> > (probably no option after 9-11)
>
> If you're asking nicely, I can't imagine they will
> refuse to check the bag
> manually...
>
> -Laurent.

=====