Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 14:23:00 EDT

>On 02/04/10 @ 2:51 AM, Thomas Cherry wrote:
>
>I was mad when they told me to turn off my Newton but
>then forgot to turn off the overhead TV monitors. We
>landed with them on, and if a TV doesn't put out enough
>EM noise to crash the plane, I don't know what will.

Please remember, the built in TV's/monitors are installed with
appropriate shielding and wiring so as to not interfere with the avionics
or navigation equipment.

Unlike a portable device that someone carries on with them, which may or
may not interfere.

Here's a homework assignment for ya. The next time you are flying on a
commercial airline flight under Instrument Meteorological Conditions
(IMC), or in layman's terms in the clouds, consider this. If you were
the pilot, as you begin your approach, would you want the risk of the
possibility that an electronic device is possibly effecting your
navigation instruments causing you to not be where you instruments
indicate you are. Then combine this with an approach to minimums of say
200 feet and a quarter mile and an approach speed of around 150 knots.
FWIW, a 747 cockpit is about 100 feet above the tarmac when you touch
down. So that means in this case with a 200 foot ceiling, you have about
100 feet once you break out in order to adjust for landing. All this
occurs at a fairly high approach speed.

One reason that the airlines are not as particular with the use of
devices in flight, is that they no longer rely on fixed navigation aids
as a primary navigation method. Now they have triple ring laser gyros,
GPS, and other types of INS systems to navigate with. In addition, the
traditional navigation devices such as VOR/DME, LORAN, etc., are much
better designed and built and are not as affected by random electronic
emissions.

However, as some have stated, some devices are not allowed at all. You
would be surprised how much emissions are given off by some devices.

Sushi