Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 14:25:41 EDT

> Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:44:59 +0200
> From: Alexander Schreiber <als_at_thangorodrim.de>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs
>
> Selling those defective CDs has a nice side-effect: I've heard from a lot
> of folks that they handle those CDs in a very special way:
> - buy CD,
> - if defective^Wcopy-protected:
> - rip with good CD/DVD drive,
> - encode to MP3/Ogg Vorbis,
> - put the files up for Gnutella/Napster/eDonkey/KaaZaa/whatever,
> - return CD as defective,
> - receive full refund,
> - repeat,

That's criminal.

> And yes, those CDs have to be considered defective as they all violate
> the CDDA-standard and therefore should not even be allowed to carry the
> CDDA-logo.

That's true.
From what I read some discs actually do *not* carry the CDDA label anymore.
But as long as they are not sold separately from CDDAs and are not
excessively labeled, it would still be alright to return them. When I buy 20
grapefruits from the grapefruit place I will still return the one orange
that was hidden between them in the box.

> But then, those defective CDs usually come with a copy protection
> schemee which for me works perfectly: the music on those CDs is so
> horrible, I won't even consider copying or even listening to them.

*G*

Oliver :)

--
Darn you Apple!  How could you make such a device as to cause heads to
turn 3 years after you discontinued it!