Re: [NTLK] Ethernet unreliable

From: Alexander Oberdörster (oberdoer_at_uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 15:34:16 EDT

> Belive it or not, I had the same with a Farallon PN895 card which used
> to work absolutely reliable and fast. From one day to another it became
> as bad as you described. Finally I found that the plug which goes into
> the card had a lose solder joint and caused interruptive transmission.
> Open the plug, record the colours and pin numbers, cut and strip the
> cable, resolder and that was all. Now its working perfectly again. The
> real cause of the loose contact was my fault: I dropped my Newton from
> about 3 ft onto the floor (with soft carpet) and the Ethernet connector
> pulled the card out but the contact became loose several weeks later.

Ah, I think I may have a similar problem here. I just examined the plug
here and it's definitely not ok. A small piece of plastic broke off at
one side of the connector. I think the pin there is also bent.

It's not my fault, though :) My friend already mentioned a problem with
the plug. I should test the card in a notebook, but I don't have a PC
notebook around.

In a few days it won't matter anyway, because I just ordered a WaveLAN
card yesterday.

Thanks!

Alexander