Re: [NTLK] Newtonlink- newer version?

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 16:35:28 EDT

eric a . Farris wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 03:39:53PM -0400, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
>
>>1) Is there a newer version somewhere else (i.e., someone doing ongoing
>>development)?
>>

> i have plans on taking newtonlink to places it hasn't been before,
> particularly doing actual synching with Ximian Evolution and Korganizer,
> and using the MoreInfo extra soup information.

Ooh... now that would be nice.

> Pie-In-The-Sky plans include working over TCP and with the dock app on
> the Newton side.

Hmm... TCP seems like it would need a networkable version of Sloup. Is
the dock protocol documented anywhere?

> right now, however, all i have are plans. I'm just beginning to
> understand s(l)oup programming. NewtonLink is written in Perl, a
> language i'm familiar with. i'll get there, but don't hold your breath.
> there are other projects in the queue (some of which were placed there
> by my boss and my wife -- both jump right to the top), taking precedent
> over stuff i WANT to do. :)

I hear you on that.

Personal note... one thing I'd love to see would be compatibility with
NOS 1.3 devices. If I understand Sloup correctly, it would be a matter
of having the correct version of Sloup on the MP and requesting/sending
the correct subset of information from/to the various soups. (Steve, am
I missing something here?) If so, it would be a big productivity kick
for the oldest MP's.

> when i have enough to start, i'll consider forking newtonlink and
> putting it up on sourceforge or seeing if i can get a hold of some of
> the original newtonlink authors and taking over the package.

Great. Keep us informed, please...

<<<john>>>