Re: [NTLK] [OT] Copy-protected CDs

From: Thomas Hofts (thofts_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 09:29:01 EDT

on 4/10/02 12:42 AM, Ron R Silva at RonRSilva_at_husky-net.net wrote:

> The last I remembered, (I'm surprised I could remember that far back, but
> that's another story and time). I do remember the Clash headlining the
> opening of the 83 US festival. The Clash, instrumentally (no pun intended),
> Joe Strummer tried to force Woz to pay them more cash. But, Woz told them to
> take a hike if they didn't like it. The Clash elected to stay and played but
> their reputations were all tarnished after their self induced fiasco, as
> they were seen greedy as the people they accuse of being greedy, the
> capitalists.
>
> Woz turned the tables back on them, albeit, inadvertently. As he never made
> any money on the festivals, (I don't think he ever planned to.), and
> basically went in the hole every time! But, boy, what a great time I had.
>
> It was GREAT! Totally unforgettable the whole US Festival 250,000+ strong.
> Second largest since Woodstock. .......

Just got back from Florida and am reading 160+ emails...this one brings back
memories as I have a backstage pass from the US festival hanging on the wall
in front of me.

I was programming an alternative radio station at that point in time and was
invited to go to the festival. As I remember it there was an island on a
little lake behind the main stage. Woz was PO'ed and we didn't think the
Clash would go on stage. The biggest effect on me (besides almost getting
heatstroke) was hearing was talk to us about Apple and how everyone would
have a computer at home in a couple of years. About a year later I had my
first Macintosh bought with LOTS of money. A buddy who went with me wound
up selling them based on his experience there. Today he's been retired for
6 years....maybe I should have sold and not bought!

--
Tom Hofts
Lawrence, KS