Re: [NTLK] Newton DIL Tester

From: Paul Nuernberger (newton_at_thenuernbergers.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 01:26:13 EDT

According to what others more knowledgeable than myself have said, the
Newton-side dock application does not have TCP/IP (correctly, fully)
implemented internally, but relies on EtherTalk (AppleTalk over TCP/IP) or
serial data for full functionality.

All Macintosh products that dock with the newton via Ethernet do so using
EtherTalk, and NOT TCP/IP alone.

I have never been able to get Windows DIL Tester to talk TCP/IP reliably
with any newton (& I have tried with several on different PC's), and the
PC-side tools from Apple made no attempt to get AppleTalk or EtherTalk or
TCP/IP working in any fashion (not including the actual DIL, which was
nowhere near a finished tool).

Without information from Apple that correctly & FULLY details the dock
protocol and inner workings - someone will have to reinvent the wheel. Ask
Paul Guyot about his 'fun with newton dock'.

It may indeed seem to be contradictory, but until someone proves me wrong by
actually making that work ... I will continue to say that it will not.

It is more likely that I was making some long mental leaps without proper
documentation, and that you did not misunderstand me - I'm usually difficult
to understand even when I make sense.

Paul Nuernberger