[NTLK] Buying advice?

From: eric engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 14:36:25 EDT

130 vs. 2000:

The biggest advantage of the 2000 is speed - the
difference is noticable - a little patience is all
that is needed for the 130 though.

The next major advantage is screen size - I think the
2100 is like 30 per cent larger than the 2100.

I find the 120 and 2100 about equally readable - which
really surprised me. Even with the backlight on there
is still my face in the mirror. I do not think the
backlight helps with readability that much - which
really surprised me.

I also like the 120 surface better than the 2100 -
though I think it may scratch more easily.

It would be to me a question of budget - if your
budget is tight, get a 120 or 130 (for a 120 make sure
it has o.s. 2.0! O.S. 2.0 is faster than 1.3 which
also surprised me).

I have a 120 O.S. 2 and have used 120 on o.s. 1.3 -
O.S. 1.3 is usable if you have graffiti which is free.

If you intend to surf the internet and use the newton
for e-mail the 2100 might be better because of speed -
though both the 120 O.S. 2 and the 2100 are internet
capable. I do not use that feature.

The 2100 also allows sound recording and speech
synthesis. Yak is a speech synthesizer for O.S. 2.0
newtons - but it is not as good as the built in
synthesizer on the 2100. The 2100 also has a nearly
IRDA compliant infrared connection - unlike the 120.
Again this is not a feature I use.

If you just want a cheap note pad get the 120 (either
O.S.) If you want to surf the net get at least a 120
O.S. 2. If you want to use the newton intensively get
a 2000 or better.

Oh - my newton 120 is now being used by my girlfriend.

Related question: Since I am am an O.S. 2.1 newbie if
anyone wants to point me to useful applications do
tell. I do not think the unit has a dongle - it has a
serial cable though with a pc rs232 port that I might
be able to connect to an rs232-firewire converter.

=====
My Web sites:
http://www.geocities.com/engleerica/ (law)
http://www.geocities.com/newtontechspecs (Newton!)
Losers are winners if they've got no enemies.