Re: [NTLK] Recommended newsreader?

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 21:43:23 EDT

Steven,

I am using Ink Spot 1.27a with a Supernews account on a 2100.

I USED TO periodically have problems exactly like the one you described.
Supernews' NNTP server was returning a nonstandard response to one of the
NNTP commands Ink Spot sent it. Ink Spot couldn't cope, so it hung waiting
for the article that would never come.

When I had these problems, the solution was to "Mark Server Read" for the
group it was hanging on. The bummer was that I would then lose the articles
that had arrived between the "sticky" one and the present moment.

For some reason, these problems have now completely vanished for me. I
don't think I've encountered one in the past year at least. I download 8
newsgroups every morning.

Another potential factor is that there is apparently a bug in the Newt's
PPP stack that results in long frames getting truncated. This is manifest
as... Newt application sends command, remote application responds
partially, then no further exchange of data. I get this when trying to
retrieve e-mail from a POP3 server where the UIDL command returns too long
a list of results. A frame gets truncated and the Newt thinks it's still
expecting more data, while the server thinks it's finished and waits for
another command. I can also trigger this by doing an octal dump of a file
using PT100 telnetted into a Unix shell. I suspect it's caused by the PPP
MTU being set too high, but there's no way to set MTU on the Newt through
the U-I, so I doubt I'll ever know for sure. Anyway, if you're encountering
this Ink Spot problem while using dialup, can you try accessing via
Ethernet instead?

Good luck,

-Jeremy