[NTLK] Testing ethernet throughput/speed?

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 11:08:49 EDT

Is there anything out there that I could use to test ethernet throughput/speed
on my Newton? I just got my WaveLAN card yesterday and have everything up and
running now (with that $99 3Com WAP that I mentioned a couple weeks ago!) --
and I'm just curious what kind of speed I am getting. I'm getting some crazy
distances (went out into the parking lot and walked to the outer fence and it
was still working -- looks like I'll have to actually get in my Durango and
DRIVE someplace to test the distance!). In any case, it did seem to slow down
way out there. Does 802.11b automatically drop from 11Mbps down to the slower
speeds depending on the connection quality?

I'm just curious what kind of throughput I'm getting, so I was curious if
there was anything that showed some kind of throughput when transferring
something via ethernet -- so that I could do some more thorough
testing/statistics.

Thanks for any suggestions!

 - John...