Re: [NTLK] Gridpad? was RE: Newton Cadillac

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 03:18:09 EDT

I was walking through ComDex (probably not Comdex, but
one like it) one day in the late '80s and I came
across this little asian man wearing some kind of
"Batman" style utility belt and a box strapped to his
forearm! The man, who said that his name was Nakamura,
said that he was the inventor of the portable
computer. He was an aggitated man with little English.
He was very happy to show me his little device! It ran
DOS and he was tapping on a hinged keyboard that was
attached to the device...I had never seen such a
device and was interested. He explained that it was a
prototype and he was working to include "touch" input.
I mentioned that the ability to draw on the device by
incorporating some kind of Wacom pad underneath the
LCD screen would be really cool. He smiled and said
"exactly" pleased that I understood his vision! I
spent about 1/2 an hour
geeking out with him...He said that he was the
inventor and patent holder and he worked for a newly
fomed company called Grid Systems and that I should
watch out for them, becuase they held the patent on
portable/wearable computing! interesting to say the
least...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Tony Kan <tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz> wrote:

> Well, you got me curious... For those of us not in
> the know what was a
> GridPad and how did it compare with the Newt?
> TIA
> Tony.

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -