Re: [NTLK] Virtual Keyboard - neural interface

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 19:21:26 EDT

> Though a very cool innovation I couldn't think of a better way to
> develop
> RSI very fast, just try tapping the table for a long time and feel your

   But here's a perhaps-not-too-scifi idea: I read recently that some
researchers found a way to allow a monkey to move a mouse cursor with
electrodes implanted in its (his? h[is,er]?) brain, which could detect
the *intention* of movement, even before the movement actually
occurred. Theoretically, it might be possible to filter out such
signals either from electrodes placed on the arm or skull (that's what
researchers are working on now). They found that after a while, the
monkeys seemed to "prefer" to just "think" the movement, and quit
actualy moving their arms at all. If this kind of control could be
gotten to a fine-grained enough control (a VERY big if), it might be
possible to make a similar neural interface for a keyboard like this.

   Then would you have "repetitive though injury" pop up in the lawyer
lexicon?

Jim