Re: [NTLK] Newton DIL Tester

From: Nicolas Zinovieff (krugazor_at_free.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 04:42:29 EDT

Hi gang

On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 09:34 AM, Paul Guyot wrote:

>> I'm not sure by the level of support of AppleTalk in OS X, so
>> I don't know
>> if it really supports ADSP, but in order to print to my
>> Personal LaserWriter
>> NTR (over an AsanteTalk), I have to enable "AppleTalk" in the Network
>> preferences.
>
> I don't think this uses ADSP but another AppleTalk sub-protocol.

My guess would be PAP protocol. That's the one used on Linux, anyway.

>> So, it's there, in one form or another.
>
> It seems to be in Darwin, but I don't know how to access it.
> Like IrDA. There are IrDA software (for Palm) but no doc explaining
> how they access IrDA layer of the OS.

There is a set of development (called "Framework") on Darwin
that enables ADSP indeed. The only problem is the documentation
(lost in the vacuum of time).
As for the irda thing, i'm searching everywhere, but i heard
from trustworthy source that this framework was kept out of the
public domain. There can be two reasons for that:
- The framework is a big mess (worse even than the Darwin ones).
This would be the official reason
- Palm asked to be "protected" from outsiders who may improve a
lot their app, or Nokia asked because there is no security over
irda in their cell phones, or a similar alternative and that
would be the marketing / political way.

--
Nicolas