Re: [NTLK] Battery pack thermo switch

From: Johannes Wolf (jkf.wolf_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 03:50:50 EDT

Of course all these things are a question of probability.
And I can assure you that the probability of having an accident or to get
ill in a foreign country is by far higher than the risk of damaging your
Newt due to a busting battery pack as long as you use the things as intended
(first of all if use the proper adpator).

There are certain precautions to prevent this from happen:

1) the current of the adaptor is limited and the voltage controlled
(regulated)

2) the Newt has implemeted an "intelligent" charging method, measuring both,
the battery voltage and the battery temperature

3) if the battery temperature is going to raise above something around 28
degrees the Newt will already start to limit and reduce the charging current
(you can easily prove that if you run BattTrax during charging as I do in
most cases)

4) the last and most insensitive protection is this thermao-fuse in the
battery pack which comes into action only in case of ALL the above mentioned
protections would fail.

And again: this is easy to achieve if you do not use the original power
adaptor, I have been there, done that -> Newt was killed completely ->
battery pack survived, but that was not my point.

Johannes