Re: [NTLK] SER-001 rev B installation report

From: PCBman (pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:42:07 EDT

> 4) the screws have all the same length. I was not able to put the long
screw
> into the mounting seat marked with an arrow (=>). I used the old one for
the
> previous SER-001 (about half the length) and it fits perfect.

The screw does fit. It is quite possible that, due to your previous
installation, the
plastic debris formed when the thread cut, is blocking the bottom of the
hole??

> All in all a great work, thank you, David!
Thanks!

> I have the feeling that the request for SER-001B is not that high as
> expected, but I have to admit and I think that lot of other Newtonians
> (including me) expected a little add-on like the clock frequency hack or
> something like that.
> On the SER-001 PCB is still plenty of space. For me the only reason not to
> implement the clock frequency hack was that I do not like to have the
> crystals hanging around with free wiring. So I could imagine to have an
> option to place the crystals on the SER-001 board and having solder pads
> connect them to the logic board. Even if there is not yet a technically
> clean solution to switch between the crystals, the pads for a microswitch
> and the wiring could also be on the SER-001 board already.

The reason I didn't include any overclocking circuitry is so that the design
I have
developed to do this would be available to anyone whether they had fitted a
SER-001 or not. There are other technical reasons too.

Be on the lookout for my overclocking solution in the near future.

Thanks for the report.

Regards,

PCBman