Re: [NTLK] Another source for Newton Book Material

From: Will Hartung (willh_at_msoft.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 12:39:18 EDT

From: "Ed Kummel" <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
> Or, point your newton at:
> http://newton.tek-ed.com and scroll down till you see
> the application "PowerScroll"

Cool!

Speaking of "wish lists", now I need to remake my book. Is there a
NewtonBook reader that automatically compensates for the screen size and/or
orientation? Or lets you change the font size on the fly? I just made my
book for MP2K Landscape, but now if this scroll button thingy works, I may

Speaking of making the book, I had to do a couple of things to the RTF that
I got from the website.

The RTF has a large image in it. First, I simply dragged the RTF file into
NewtonPress, but it just hung and went to lunch, so I killed that.

Then I used WordPad on W98. Opened it, deleted the graphic and tried again.
The next time, it worked OK, but all of the paragraphs were crammed
together. :-/

Finally, I opened up RTF file into a regular text editor (it was too big for
Notepad, so I used 'vi' with cygwin), and simply doubled all of the
paragraph markers. Simply replace all instances of '\par' with '\par\par'.
After dumping that into NewtonPress, it came out great and was nice and
useable. I've already read about 15% of the book on the Newt, and it works
pretty well.

This is particularly exciting for me because I'm getting ready to move into
a new house. But the detail is that I have to move to "temporary residence"
for about 3 weeks. This means I need to pack up as much junk as possible and
take the bare essentials. Now, I can take a couple of books with me to read
but not use any actual space. Very handy.

This is working out well enough that I'm mildly considering getting a
dedicated electronic book reader. For the ergonomics of it if nothing else.
But I think the RCA small book reader has a screen not much bigger than the
Newtons, so it's mostly a matter of preference I guess.

> =====
> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
> - Arthur C. Clarke -

...and thus the Magic of Newton..

Thanx all!

Best Regards,