Re: [NTLK] FileMaker backup

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 13:43:07 EDT

Andy,

> Has anyone tried to backup all of their Newton files into Filemaker? I
> mean, for example, setting up a database for "notes" files, a separate one
> for address book files, etc., then transferring all the data. Once in
> Filemaker the data could be moved to another device, e.g. Ipod, etc. (this
> spell checker won't let me spell that right). Anybody have any ideas how to
> do this?

When I was doing a lot of FileMaker work I looked at it but it's probably
more trouble than its worth.

Exporting the Notepad as text only with NCU so that you could import into FM
loses all styles and formatting and the structure of outlines and checklists
are lost as are any sketches or graphics. As I use outlines heavily this
seemed like a show-stopper.

FM is a nice DB but not so good with large text entries as it cannot show
you what it finds other than just display the appropriate record, which is
desperately lame. As a an intermediate tool for preparing data it can be
very strong.

I decided in the end to choose where data should primarily reside on the
basis of which device handled it best. Names are only on the Newt, I keep a
list of Works papers on my PowerBook for 'publication' to the Newts and I
occasionally upload Notepad and Names en masse as a back up and in case I
need to look up something when the Newt is not immediately to hand - a very
rare occurance.

Actually, I was thinking of having my uMP2K surgically implanted - it does a
better job than my brain most of the time anyway...

Joel.