Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Re: Safety

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 16:07:04 EDT

on 4/20/02 8:18 AM, Lallang_at_aol.com at Lallang_at_aol.com wrote:

> Uh...I seem to recall some communities in Florida allowing weapons to be
> carried by citizens provided they were not concealed. This included
> handguns. The crime rate supposedly dropped by 70% immediately after. How
> true this is I don't know. I do know that an ex-girlfriend's mother used to
> mow her multi-acre fields in Florida with her firearms in the tractor with
> her. She was one grass-eliminating mobile arsenal. I'm sure nobody messed
> with her while she was mowing...

If I were mowing in FL and carrying a gun, it would be because I didn't want
the water moccasins getting me. :-) (nice beasts, they) BTW, the only
problem with these community laws is that the criminals simply move to
other, less protected towns, where their crime rate increases. I wonder what
would happen if these laws were consistent across the continent? Would the
criminals then move overseas? Or would they give up? :-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

'A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." -- Samuel Adams