Re: [NTLK] InkWell/Newton Technology

From: Grant [All The Rage] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 22:25:03 EDT

In a previous message, Jesse Garnier typed vigorously:

>I remember this ZDNet article from some time ago, but haven't heard hide nor
>hair of it since. Anybody have any idea what the deal with InkWell is,
>whether it was a hoax, if it's still in development, or what?
>
>http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-522507.html?legacy=zdnn
>
>My theory is that Apple's next handheld will be a "companion" to a desktop,
>where it can be used as a pen input device and recognize handwriting on its
>screen directly to the desktop's insertion point. Among a ton of other
>things, of course. ;)

I haven't seen thing one about InkWell or the Mac OS version of Rosetta
or what have you since that article. It sure got my hopes up at the time,
and it would make perfect sense to integrate that type of technology into
a two-piece convertible laptop or standalone tablet computer. I honestly
don't think that we'll ever see a handheld-device from Apple (other than
a supercharged iPod), but a larger portable device that bridges the gaps
between desktop, entertainment system *and* the iPod could be very
interesting. And of course, it could be pen-based...

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/