Re: [NTLK] OT - Off topic - US drivers

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 15:30:05 EDT

My sister had a TransAm with a 5 speed Muncie and a
heavy-duty clutch. I believe it was a 9-pound clutch.
Because of the amount of power that 7.7 liter engine
put out, and the tightness of the clutch, you almost
couldn't drive the thing in traffic unless you wanted
to end up ontop of the car in front of you! Driving in
DC was impossible...needless to say, while the car was
terrific fun to drive on the open road, she got rid of
it because it was just too much car for her...now she
has a BMW-Z3.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> on 4/23/02 9:55 AM, IMNewtMan_at_aol.com at
> IMNewtMan_at_aol.com wrote:
> Agreed, but have you ever tried to negotiate daily,
> heavy, stop & go traffic
> with a stick shift. Besides ending up with a left
> thigh that's
> significantly larger than the right ;-) , some folks
> end up with
> near-perpetual muscle spasms in the left side of
> their abdomen, which can
> have unpleasant side-effects. If/when I retire out
> of an urbanized area,
> I'll probably return to stick shift, but for now,
> it's just healthier to go
> with automatic.
>
> - Eric.
>
> --
>
> Eric Strobel (fyzycyst_at_NOSPAM^mailaps.org)

=====
- Arthur C. Clarke -