Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Brakes

From: Sean Sackett (cyberleader_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 00:08:40 EDT

on 4/23/02 8:22 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_comcast.net wrote:

>> That's one way to do it. I usually just heel-toe. (blip the throttle with my
>> heel while braking with the toe/ball of my right foot)
>>

> Wow! You learn something new about list members all the time... We
> actually have a contortionist among us!!! ;-)
>
> (Maybe I need to go to one of those driving schools, but I still don't get
> why one would ever want to be applying throttle WHILE braking... Seems like
> all that would achieve is to chew through your brakes prematurely.)

Actually, the point is to rev match the engine speed with the gear speed of
the lower gear when double-clutching and downshifting. You brake into a
corner, clutch in, gear shifter to neutral, clutch out, blip throttle (while
still breaking) to match transmission mainshaft speed to engine speed,
clutch in again, select next lower gear, blip throttle (still trail braking
partway thru the corner) and clutch out and youre in gear, all without
upsetting the chassis at all (which is bad during mid-cornering)

All that in a fraction of a second ;)

So you arent wearing out your breaks at all there. Left foot breaking is a
different matter. You apply the brake while maintaining throttle, so the
engine power overcomes the brake power on the front wheels (for fwd or 4wd
cars) and only the rear wheels lock up. That's how those brilliant nutters
like Makkinen do those fabulous pendulum turns in rally racing. (yes, im one
of the other 12 americans who love it!)

--Sean (who is sure Honda will move back to the front of the F1 pack soon)