Re: [NTLK] Modem woes and religious scams

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 08:56:55 EDT

> I bought it from Mac Easy but it doesn't
> like UK dial tones and returns an error - "No dial tone". It does the same
> thing in my Win2000 box. The modem itself is sound, as I can interrogate
it
> and get a response, as is the cable, wall socket, local loop, etc.
I wouldn't be to shure that you have a dial tone at all connected to the
modem. There might be a crack in the wire or defect in the plug or even
simpler: It might be also a wrong wiring. You should check the whole chain,
at first the phone wall connector and then the output of the cable too, if
possible. Even if the modem is originated in another country it is quite
likely that the phone wiring schemes don't match. Finally you can disable
the wait for dialtone feature in the basic (Hayes) modem driver.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG