Re: [NTLK] OT: PC notebook advice

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 12:33:28 EDT

Thanks for that lovely introduction Laurent...hey! A
funny thing happened on my way over here (bu-dum-bump
*rim-shot*)
I've always used Dell laptops (mainly because that's
what my company buys) What I like about them is that
Dell's website is geared specifically for your
computer. You go to the site, put in your machine's
serial number and everything you see from there on
applies to your machine! BIOS upgrades, driver
upgrades...all of it available just by clicking.

I even bought a used Dell for my mom. Nothing
fancy...just a PII-350 and 256mb ram...but for her?
Just fine!

My only complaint is that this laptop is heavy! (I
have a CPxi) i think it weighs something like 6
pounds? I never weighed it, but you certainly notice
it after a while of carrying it! I love the huge
screen and the keyboard is nicely laid out. It uses a
trackpad and has that little "J" stick in the
keyboard.

But if I had to spend my own money on a laptop, I
would put serious consideration in on the Toshiba
line. (I avoid Sony products because of their use of
proprietary parts) The new Satelite 500 comes with an
nVidia graphics and Harmon Kardon sound
system...complete with built in subwoofer! and this
for under $2k!

As for built in stuff...I have found that nothing
beats PC card plugins. With the price of FireWire PC
cards not at under $50, who needs it built in? In my
Dell, I have a combo modem/ethernet card and an Iomega
Clik drive. (The Clik isn't in all the time, so I
always have an open slot)

Basically, it comes down to personal preferences.
Spend some time at www.epinions.com and read what
others have to say about any laptop you consider. Then
go to www.pricewatch.com and get the best price...At
least, that's what I do when I want to buy computer
gear!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>