Re: [NTLK] Modem woes and religious scams

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 14:30:30 EDT

Dial tones and touch-tones in the United States are
generated by a Sine-Wave. Most European phone systems
generate a tone that is sometimes not recognized by
some very picky modems. Because of this, some modems
may not recognize that a dial tone is present. For
this you will need to modify the modem's
initialization string. Optimally, you should get a
list of the AT command set that your modem
understands. But, barring that..most modems accept a
standard set of AT commands. A nice place to start is
here:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis3600/analogfw/analogat.htm

What you want to do is dial the modem regardless of
whether it sees a dial-tone or not! This command is
covered in the AT X command:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis3600/analogfw/analogat.htm#xtocid929919

You can see here that the X4 command is the default.
This command tells the modem to return the error if a
dial-tone is not present. You want to change this to
X0 or X1. This will tell the modem to dial when it
gets the command to dial. Be careful though that you
are indeed getting a dial tone prior to your dialing.
You may want to include the S8=3 and include commas in
your phone number to tell the modem to pause 3 seconds
for each comma it sees in order for your modem to get
off hook long enough to establish a connection. This
means that if you dial 800-555-1212, you would then
dial ,,800-555-1212. With the AT X1 S8=3 set on your
initialization string, this will tell the modem to go
off hook, pause for 6 seconds (3 seconds for each
comma), then dial the phone number regardless of
whether there is a dial tone or not. This is also
handy when dialing a modem through a cell phone.
Becuase we all know that cell phones do not have
dialtones!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)
--- "Dar, S.- Shabaz -" <S.Dar_at_Canon-Europa.com>
wrote:

> Hi ppl,
>
> I'm trying to get my Hayes Optima 33.6 card modem to
> work in, well,
> anything, but especially my 2100. I bought it from
> Mac Easy but it doesn't
> like UK dial tones and returns an error - "No dial
> tone". It does the same
> thing in my Win2000 box. The modem itself is sound,
> as I can interrogate it
> and get a response, as is the cable, wall socket,
> local loop, etc.
>
> I've tried the "Hayes Compatible" and "Hayes EC"
> packages and set the Newt
> to UK (in Locale) to no avail.
>
> I've contacted Hayes support on the chance they can
> provide me with a
> localised firmware update (or Zoom as they own the
> rights and say they will
> support legacy kit) but I haven't yet received a
> reply.
>
> I saw a package called Modem Modifier floating
> around. Does anyone know if
> this can be used to alter a setting to allow it to
> recognize the UK phone
> system tones? I had a quick play but couldn't see
> where to do this.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Shabaz

=====