Re: [NTLK] new to list

From: Thorsten Biel (T.Biel_at_ITadmin.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 16:53:03 EDT

regarding 3): you have several possibilities to choose from:

- get a Keyspan USB serial adapter, and use Newten
  Pro: runs native on OS X
  Con: requires you have a dongle and cable, and the Keyspan ain't
       too cheap, either....
       I have to mention that I had problems connecting this way, but
       then, I didn't spend too much time analyzing why.

- get an ethernet card for the Newton, and use the NCU to connect to it
  via Appletalk.
  Pro: quite fast
       reliable
       relatively affordable
       comfortable
  Con: requires Classic to run NCU

Alternatively, boot into OS 9, and use NCU to connect via serial (again,
requires the Keyspan adapter), or via Infrared (uncomfortable, because of
the positions of the IR adapters).

Then there's the method using a Wavelan card (Orinoco) in the Newton
instead of an ethernet card. This has the highest coolness and comfort
factors, but - at least in my case - I'm having major problems with the
fixed wireless network name....

regarding 4): I'd be interested in a good tool, too... :)

-Thorsten

--On Wednesday, 24 April 2002 7:27 -0400 Robert Konick

--
Thorsten Biel                                         T.Biel_at_ITadmin.com

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools -- Doug Adams