Re: [NTLK] [OT] eMac Pricing...

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 16:23:27 EDT

Uh eD, that's for an additional 384MB RAM.

Time to get that calculator out again! :-)

Your comments got me to thinking, so I checked again.

Apple charges $144 for the 384MB RAM.

They charge $51 for the stand.

That's a difference of $196.

The actual prices are $1,249 and $1,516 for a difference of $267. So
they are charging more to include these two items? That doesn't make
sense!

So I did some more checking. Under the hardware portion of Apple's web
site, vice the Apple Store, it lists the following for optical storage:

> One of the following optical drives:
> =8B 32x-speed (maximum) CD-ROM drive
> =8B Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW); reads DVDs at 8x speed,
> writes CD-R discs at 12x speed, writes CD-RW discs
> at 8x speed, reads CDs at 32x speed

My guess, is that the cheaper model comes with a CD-ROM drive, and that
the more expensive model comes with a Combo drive. Currently the Apple
Store has them both listed as having the Combo Drive, which I now believe
is incorrect.

Assuming that my hypothesis is correct, then for $267 more, you get 384MB
more RAM memory, a Combo Drive, and the swivel stand.

That makes more sense.

Here is an updated table:

> CPU G4/700 G4/700
> RAM 128 512