[NTLK] [ANN] Newton MessagePad 2x00 Display Upgrade

From: cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 17:37:31 EDT

This message is being sent to individuals that have expressed interest in the
touchscreen and (white) backlight replacement project detailed on the web page
at http://www.adago.net. (This information will be added to the web-site in
about 24 hours)

We are now ready to take orders for the first 25 Upgrade kits. The kit
(DISPKIT-001) will include: one Clear-Finish Touchscreen with a self adhesive
backing; one White backlight with crimped solder tabs, and instructions on how
to install them. Please note: Soldering of two backlight power-leads is
required to complete backlight installation.

This kit does NOT include any Apple manufactured parts - our hardware has been
designed and manufactured to fit and function like the original Apple
components, with the following stipulations: (If you don't understand
something, please contact us.)
- the touchscreen is made to be more transparent than the Apple original so it
has no diffusion layer on the surface. This means that light reflects off of
the surface in much the same way as it does on a Palm III PDA.

- since the touchscreen is made by a new supplier the "activation" pressure is
increased, so more touch-pressure is required when writing. Also, the process
uses a very fine layer of spacer dots that are noticeable if dragging a pen
across the surface of the touchscreen. Our touchscreens are in use right now
in a data entry application involving a number of Newton MP2000s, and no
problems have been reported.

- the backlight draws the same current as the Apple original, but emits LESS
light (only 4.7 Foot-Lamberts vs. Apple's 6.5 Foot-Lamberts). This does not
detract from the usability, and actually makes for a much more "eye-appealing"
screen. Our backlight slightly reduces the overall "lit" area while giving the
LCD an appearance closer to ink-on-paper.

Included instructions will detail how to disassemble your MP2x00, replace the
backlight and touchscreen, and reassemble. Experience with a soldering iron is
required. We do NOT advise doing the upgrade yourself, unless you have
experience servicing consumer electronics. If done improperly this procedure
can damage or destroy your Newton, and we cannot be held responsible for lost
information or material damages.

The following individuals that have expressed an interest in installing these
kits as a service. Please contact them to make arrangements for installation:
(We are unable to endorse any of these installers. Their contact information
is included only for your convenience.)

Spain: Daniel Padilla http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/
[daniel.padilla_at_wanadoo.es]
USA (Denver): Charles Lewis: [cjkjlewis_at_attbi.com]
Germany: Ralf Neerfeld: [ralf.neerfeld_at_web.de]

We will update the list of installers on the website as we get more
information.

The complete kit is $139US + $7 shipping/handling. We'll be accepting payments
via PayPal or money order. Additional charges apply for International Shipping
charges and for residents of Georgia.

Anti-Glare versions of the touchscreen are available, please contact us for
more information.

IF YOU WANT TO PURCHASE A KIT:

1) Email us at adagoorders_at_earthlink.net with your name, shipping address,
payment method (Papal preferred) and quantity. Make sure the message subject
is: DISPKIT-001 Order Request. This address is for orders only!

2) WAIT for an order confirmation number to be emailed to you. This should be
ready in the less than 72 hours. We'll include the billing total in the email
and payment instructions.

--Calvin (Adago.net)
cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com