Re: [NTLK] OT: Whence "genitive s" (='s)? (Was: AUGUST UPDAT

From: James Buxton (bux1234567_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 09:47:58 EDT

Hmmm,

Someone correct what I was taught if my teaching is wrong:

I was taught that the traditional use of the apostrophe is to show that
characters have been omitted. (I have found this to be true in English,
French and German.) I was also taught that older forms of English used "es"
to form possessives for nouns except pronouns, and that over time, people
stopped writing the "e" in this "es" ending. To show that the "e" was
omitted, they wrote an apostrophe in its place. (I just confirmed this with
a trip to the dictionary as well.) This is how the apostrophe-"s" ending so
called "crept in" for possessives in today's English. Not really a creeping
in, but another instance of the traditional use of the apostrophe to show
contraction.

I think that it is far fetched that it has anything to do with Norman ruler=
imposing a contraction for possessives because of how they formed
possessives with =B3de=B2 or =B3of=B2.

As for German not using apostrophes to show contraction, what about "Wie
geht es?" becoming "Wie geht's" and "Kurfuerstendamm" becoming "Ku'damm"?

German even uses apostrophes to show contraction in some possessive forms
such as "Felixs Auto" becoming "Felix' Auto", or "Alices Haus" becoming
"Alice' Haus".

Just some thoughts,

Jim

"Some people's idea of [free speech] is that they are free to say what they
like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage."

--Winston Churchill