Re: [NTLK] OT: Whence "genitive s" (='s)? (Was: AUGUST UPDAT

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 12:53:46 EDT

scOtty teCHnoiR (tick0001_at_algonquincollege.com) wrote:

> the Romans ?? i would think the latter
> would have had more of a hand in "imposing" language throughout europe.

When the Romans were still in Britain, the languages spoken there were
Celtic. Any influence the Romans might have had on the local languages
will have vanished after the Anglo-Saxon invasion (with the possible
exception of Wales, although I doubt it).

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de