Re: [NTLK] Recommended setup for wireless network?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 21:14:17 EDT

OK. Here is the way I did this several years ago.
Remember, my setup is Wintel so ymmv.
I used a program called JanaProx. I had a single
computer that had a modem connected to it. It also had
a 10Bt NIC connected. The modem was connected to the
phone line and the NIC was connected to a hub. All the
other machines in the house were connected to the hub
as well. The machine that had the modem was running
JanaProx. I had set JanaProx to serve DHCP on the
198.162.x.x ip range. (you can use any of the
non-routable IP ranges...ask if you don't know what
they are)
Set JanaProx to dial the modem when ever an Internet
request or email request was initiated from a remote
device (one of the other computers) JanaProx also does
email serving, and website filtering as well! really
handy if you don't want your kid to see certain sites!
Once set up, there is just a slight delay when a
webpage is requested.
Works fine and is quite trouble free!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Roman Tarnovetsky <romantic_at_arvotek.net> wrote:

> Ed the Gadget Guru wrote:
>
> "I have an Alteon switch (I can't read the name from
> here, but
> it says something like "ace-switch" of something.
> This
> is a bit much for the home user, but I like it for
> it's auto failover to dialup if my DSL fails,"
>
> My question is: Can routers be used with a
> dynamically assigned IP
> address through a dial-up connection? Can someone
> explain how to connect
> an ethernet based Local Area Network to a dial-up
> service provider. Is
> this the situation that Ed mentions above? Thanks,
> Roman
>
> --
> Read the List FAQ/Etiquette:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Read the Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting