Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100 battery pack

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 00:48:41 EDT

That phrase "but they look about right" is the wrong
way to approach things with a Newt. The Newt is a
different beast and if you aren't 100% sure, and can
not afford to destroy your Newton, don't guess...be
100% positive before you mess with the internal
workings of your Newt. That said, do not use any of
the batteries on the page you posted! If you do, you
will have a paperweight. (a rather warm paperweight
for about 5 minutes too!)
The reason being is that these rechargeable lithium
batteries are the wrong voltage! The average AA
battery (alkaline/carbon configuration) puts out 1.5
volts per cell. Rechargeables usually put out
considerably less. This makes the Newt, with 4 AA
batteries run on 6volts. If you place 4 of these
lithium rechargeables into your Newt, you would end up
with 14volts...not a good thing.
OK, now that said...through experimentation, you
MAY...I reitterate...MAY be able to configure these
rechargeables in a parallel/serial way to allow the
batteries to supply the 7.4 volts and still use all 4
batteries. This would be something like 2 batteries in
series, and place another 2 batteries in series in
parallel with each other. (remember, series increases
voltage, parallel increases current) and since these
lithiums have a high current already, you might be
able to get them to work...but with current battery
technology having proven its self on the newt, it's
not worth the risk, and I couldn't stand to see a Newt
go up in smoke on an experiment...
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- john Mantooth <mouser_osu_at_brightok.net> wrote:

> Well, I wasn't sure they did either until I did a
> quick google search and found this site
> http://www.aspencer1.com/items.asp?db=11
>
> I still am not sure they are AA size, but they look
> about right.
>
> John M.
>
> 8/7/02 7:24:09 PM, Jesse Garnier <jgarnier_at_mac.com>
> wrote:
>

> >john Mantooth wrote not long ago (8/7/02 7:23 PM):
> >
> >> The battery pack for my Newton 2100 is broken,
> the lid came off when I dropped
> >> it. I think I can glue it back together and it
> will be ok. but now that it is
> >> off... can I replace the nimh batteries with
> Lithium ion rechargeable
> >> batteries? will I be able to recharge the battery
> pack normally?
> >
> >What is your source for Lithium Ion rechargeable
> AAs? I didn't know those
> >existed.
> >
> >--Jesse
> >

> >--
> >Read the List FAQ/Etiquette:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> >Read the Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> http://www.newtontalk.net/
> >

> --
> Read the List FAQ/Etiquette:
> http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html
> Read the Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting