Re: [NTLK] Dropping the Newt, was: ...

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 08:43:36 EDT

Ahh, the mysteries of the Interconnect port :)

Basically, the general idea behind it was to eventually make a desktop
docking station that would have ports for all the connections that the
Interconnect port has in it, which are:

-serial port 0 (the one that the dongle interfaces with)
-serial port 3 (unusable in its current state, needs a serial driver chip)
-audio in
-audio out
-+5V power out, for powering external devices
-power in to charge the batteries
-and a pin to 'wake' the Newton when you plug in a device (a power switch,
basicially)

All these specs are on UNNA:
http://www.unna.org/unna/development/documentation/interconnect/

If you look at WinCE devices from the same era (1996-1998), you'll see that
they all had this idea in mind as well: a proprietary dock connector and a
desktop dock that the device sat in.

But of course, Apple canned it, so nothing cool was done with it. The
stop-gap was to ship the serial dongle with every 2x00 so that everyone's
serial cables would still work.

-- Victor