Re: [NTLK] Ebay vs List

From: Humphreys, David (URB) (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 13:56:00 EDT

>The real question comes when you spend a lot of time,
>energy, and money to acquire something that could sell
>for 5x what you paid. Do you offer it to the list for
>what you paid? Maybe the SER-001 should sell for $5?
>Anyone get any great deals letely that they would be
>willing to give me for free? I'll send you my address
>but I want it shipped overnight express at your
>expense.
>

>As I recall, most people sent in the donation
>to NTLK for the 4MB card deal. Just a few VERY
>PROMINENT (and still active) list members chose not to
>make any donation.
>
>v/r
>
>Kevin

If I had an opportunity to sell 10,000 SER-001's then I could sell them for $5 apiece. Reality is closer to ~200 sales.
Reality is designing a PCB layout, paying for it's fabrication, contacting and negotiating with suppliers for every
part, paying an assembler to populate the board,packaging the goods, printing address labels, mailing items, answering
emails, diagnosing problems etc., etc., etc.

PCB design.

This is something very few of the list members would have a clue of how to go about it. Should I donate my time freely
and philanthropically, or should I expect a fair return for my research and efforts?

I realize that this may not be the intended path for this thread but, as you specifically included my project as an
example, I felt it was only fair that it was used with some perspective.

As for your other point regarding flash cards, it is entirely up to the individual whether he or she makes a donation.
Making your point this way is tacky and unnecessary. If people chose not to donate, why the public flogging? They won't
be any more likely to pay. And, if you were somehow trying to embarrass them into donating, I am afraid it won't work.
The distance between emails and the distance between people in a room are very different.(I was alluding to the greater
anonymity email provides)

Regards,

PCBman